Monday, September 22, 2008

Morning Coffee



Dear Friends,

This morning, after dropping my sister off to class, I decided to stop by Starbucks and get a Grande Coffee. As I was drinking it, a thought occurred to me about coffee. Why do I drink coffee every day, more specifically REAL coffee? I mean there is a caffeine addiction in some cases but not really for me. As an amazing street theologian I know put it, there is an "
orthodoxy of coffee drinking." When we do anything in life, we should strive to do it correctly and take things the way they were meant to be taken. However, has drinking REAL coffee lost its meaning? Is it becoming a norm and a somewhat programmed part of my day? Although I make the effort to actually grind and brew coffee at home, is it because I have a genuine love of coffee and the strength and benefits behind it? Or is it because its just something that I have done for, sadly, a majority of my life. I guess the point I'm trying to make, which is probably somewhat evident at this point, is do we religiously go to church and sit, actually stand, for two hours because its something we've always done? Or do we do it because we genuinely love and embrace our faith. I know this is a somewhat cliche thing to say but its a real problem. Many youth and older youth are going to church and would like to keep it at that. They don't want to know everything about what they are doing and participating in. Why? In some cases ignorance is Bliss, and by that I mean if people actually take the time to realize what their faith is about, they will know that there are more responsibililties than they thought. Most people are happy just drinking, in my opinion putrid, McDonalds Coffee. Or even drinking Starbucks just for the name's sake, without knowing what they are drinking. People often tend to be complacent with knowing the half-truth because knowing everything is just too saddening to some. I'm posting this because I know this from experience and seeing the negative growth in the Church. Sorry that this is not really an entertaining post but more on the serious side. =( ...
Take care and God Bless.
-Varkey

1 comment:

Marcel said...

Dear Varkey,

it seems you haven't changed a bit. Nice metaphors.

~Marcel

PS
Mickey D's coffee is pretty good, much better than Charbucks.